Wednesday 13 April 2011

slumdog millionaire

I will make it no secret that I am a huge fan of the work of director Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, 28 Days Later and Sunshine), however, even I was wary of the plot of his latest movie Slumdog Millionaire. The film is about an illiterate slum kid from Mumbai, who goes on the local TV version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire and comes up trumps.


On first impressions, I have to admit that the plot smacks of what could be perceived as a cheesy feel good movie, however, the initial brutal scenes make sure that you realise that this aint’ no fairytale. Slumdog Millionaire is in fact a brilliant film of shocking brutality, a romance with the backdrop of sexual abuse and a dream of wealth powered by crushing poverty.

I would not be surprised if an Oscar may be on the cards. Go see it








No comments:

Post a Comment